Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Celebrations, kitten heels

Yesterday two personal milestones: this blog opened its doors and I finished a draft of a piece long on the back burner up until a couple of months ago.

Big moments. Yet my little office was so quiet. No confetti, no balloons. Nobody here but me. (Though lots of wonderful e-mails, I thank you. And the everyday thump of the music from the Mexican restaurant downstairs.)

There was no way I could instantly gather a crowd for champagne and sweet iced tea. So, a mini-celebration: lo mein with Bob at the mall food court and the purchase of my first and likely only pair of high-heeled flip-flops, a concept I never imagined would attract me.

My point: every milestone, every bit of progress, even the "good" rejections need celebrating. Sandals with kitten heels may not be your thing. But I'll bet you can come up with something that will do the trick.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your suggestion that we celebrate the little things, including the "good rejections." I have celebrated in the recent past with the purchase of a lovely eggplant-colored teapot complete with flowered cosy, and often enough I will mark one of those "ideas that gently shine" with a single chocolate truffle from Fresh Market.

Yesterday I was in the stall with my big and very handsome horse, Keil Bay, dripping with sweat and peering at his neck and face at a few new insect bites. (I fret that they bother him - he doesn't seem to mind) He very gently but with great purpose lifted his muzzle and pushed my glasses right off my face! In the moment, I felt him telling me to stop peering so closely, to just stop and take in the softer picture, the gift of time with him in the heat of mid-day, with the buzz of the insect universe singing outside.

Anonymous said...

You go Sister Apex! I am very taken with high heeled flip-flops and wonder how much they are like Bob Dylan's high heeled sneakers. . . Website, blog all excellent and lovely. Yes, yes to boldness! Why wait!?!

Anonymous said...

I think it's fabulous that you are blogging and a variety of others are logging in to join you in your thoughts and celebrations. The first day that I logged on, I did not comment, but instead went to what was then the next blogger site, just for funsies. It happened to be someone in another country (possibly Thailand, unusual alphabet). The very thought of this electronic highway, with the thoughts of so many diverse minds excited me to no end.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Billie, Amey,kalifornia k, and The Jim. It's a pleasure to meet you on the electronic highway. May we all have much reason for eggplant-colored teapots.

I love the "Sister Apex" moniker.

And no, I didn't design the page. It's partly template from blogger.com, partly designer Tom Bennett (his link is on the navigation bar on my website.) And a hint of a suggestion or two from me.

Will check on Dylan's high-heeled sneakers.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you finished up that draft! it's inspiring! i picked one back up that would of course be amazing, but i can't create the sacred space to get into the zone. i am hoping some quiet time this weekend will assist that.

i hope you are doing well!!