Friday, December 16, 2005

Writer Work-Day Report

Today, as promised, I tracked my work-time to see how closely I came to the Creative Capital guideline for a good writer's workday.

What was recommended was 60% of the time spent in production, and 20% each on administration and promotion.

MY OUTCOME: Today I spent half my time on production, about 20% on administration, about 6 percent on promotion, and nearly a quarter on personal errands.

MY REACTION: Well, could be worse since it's almost Christmas.

The awareness of time was very interesting. I did those personal phone calls, last Christmas cards, etc. a lot faster than I might have. I was terribly efficient.

BOTTOM LINE: This practice is going to be useful to me. I do think I got more done, with less lying to myself. And I felt LESS STRESS. Paradoxical, but true.

More later on the lessons from the Creative Capital seminar on Strategic Planning for all kinds of artists.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm living vicariously via your organization... :) I got through the current read-through/edit last night, and began to incorporate the changes into the ms today - which was plenty of success for me, and I was thrilled to be moving again. And ready for a break until morning.

But tonight, after being up here working 3-4 different times today, it was while in the bathtub jetting sore back muscles that I had a sudden revelation about the book. A missing piece I didn't even know was missing.

I got out and dried off and came upstairs again where I have sketched it out and started to plug it in. I think I've discovered the backbone of this book.

Here's to two things: showing up at the desk/taking breaks/showing up again (and again, and again), and serendipity.

I think there's a real balancing act in the creative process - organizing to gain peak efficiency yet allowing space for the magic to happen.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like a bath--or anything distractingly physical--after working to make a major breakthrough. Congratulations, Billie. Sounds like a very important day.