Friday, February 17, 2006

"Literary Lightning"

You know those stories about megamillion-dollar literary luck? My local newspaper (The News & Observer in Raleigh) just ran a piece on the luck involved in huge success. It's about one author who has just been struck by "literary lightning" and about me, as an example of a writer who has had good luck, but not the million dollar kind.

As you can imagine, I was a little nervous about being an interviewed for an article where I could come off as the "designated loser," the one that luck was ignoring.

But the reporter, Bridgette Lacy, is a very good one, and a novelist herself. And as my husband reminded me "all publicity is good publicity." So I went ahead. And I was very pleased with the results. It felt like a kind of public wish for my good luck, for which I'm grateful.

If anybody has any ideas about how to bring on this kind of luck, do pass them on.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy! Nice article, and I'm sure your next novel will meet with much success, and you won't have to rely on such a fluke occurence as that other fella.

Best,

Mike Jasper

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, Thanks for your good wishes. I was just thinking last night that there's something wrong in an industry where lightning has to strike. Doesn't seem like a good business plan.

On the other hand, lightning did strike a friend of mine last week. And when it happens, it's so exciting.

Peggy Payne said...

Also, Mike, I just checked out your site. The upcoming "paranormal romance" sounds intriguing.

Anonymous said...

I admire the concept of your blog.
I will follow it with interest.
Michael B. Owen

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I'm glad you're here, Michael.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Peggy. I had a lot of fun writing that book.

And a belated thanks for your input on my first novel, way back when -- you read it and had some great stuff to say about it. While I put that one in the trunk for some time, I've gone on to write 4.5 more, and I'm enjoying it. Your feedback helped me quite a bit, so thanks!

And very few people survive lightning strikes, so that's always something to consider... :)

Anonymous said...

I remember, Mike. And you've been prodigiously productive writing "4.5" books. I never heard it put that way. I'm currently at the .93 place on my novel-in-progress. That's been a hard spot to get past, but it's slowly moving.