Thursday, March 09, 2006

My First All-Nighter

Last night gives new meaning to the cliche: it's never too late.

At the age of 57, I did my first all-nighter--a rough deadline on an editing project. I worked straight through the night and now it's 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and I'm about to leave the office and call it A DAY.

I'm pleased with the work. And feel proud,as if I held up reasonably well in some athletic competition like a triathlon. Hour after hour--kept pawing at the keyboard and after a while the sun started coming up. Just wanted to share this moment with you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I'm impressed!

Last night I was up here in my office with a soy latte, intent on reading through my ms in one sitting. It hit one a.m. and I realized if I kept going I'd likely be too tired to stay on my horse this morning for my riding lesson. So I went to bed.

And am subsequently back up here tonight, soy latte on the way, to see if I can get through the rest of it.

I trust by now you're deeply in sleep. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm never doing it again. That was a thirty-one hour work shift. I can't imagine how interns and residents do it.

I came home after that and slept 22 hours out of the next 24.

To be absolutely clear: never again. Better to be able to get on one's horse in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to sleep through and make up all those work hours! I agree - I have no idea how residents and interns do it, and the fact that they have to seems insane to me. :/

An announcement: second novel ms has been emailed to my agent - in the wee hours of the night last evening. I am so happy to have it "out there" - as is usual for me, I woke up this morning and got right back to the novel-in-progress, getting the first 25 pages ready to send to my new writing group in advance of next week's meeting.

And when I went out to turn the horses out this a.m., I noticed that the redbud in the front field had blossomed overnight!

Anonymous said...

Terrific, Billie! Congratulations on getting the novel shipped. And I'm amazed you just kept working without missing a beat. This is definitely a REDBUD DAY!