Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Take a Step Toward Your Dream

"Talk does not cook rice."

-Chinese Proverb, quoted from productivity guru David Allen's latest newsletter. (His mantra is Getting Things Done or GTD.)

I'm a great fan of talk myself. However, in most situations, the conversation (or the monologue) has to be followed by action for any "rice" to result.

Rice, I now realize, is a symbol of fertility and prosperity.

What have you been talking about lately that you haven't put on the burner? Set some rice to simmering now.







Add to del.icio.us - Stumble It! - Subscribe to this feed - Digg it


6 comments:

Debra said...

Starting my book that I know I am meant to write. Trouble is that the topic keeps changing with the changes in my life.

I suppose that mentioning it out loud is one way to start the rice simmering.

How about you, Peggy? What needs to go on the burner?

Peggy Payne said...

I'm glad you're starting your book, Debbie. I do think that's in the cards for you.

The step I need to take? To spend a bit more time on my own writing than I'm now currently doing.

Debra said...

Thank you for the encouragement! I am trying to bring my own life back into focus now that I know that other things are going to take much longer than they should have.

Maybe now that you have the new agent, you will find a fresh dose of inspiration to get you to spend more time on your own writing. You definitely have a voice that is worth putting out there!

Fireblossom said...

Indeed. I have been hemming and hawing and not writing a new story I have an idea for. I have the beginning and the ending worked out, but the middle hasn't come clear. Maybe I should just write the beginning and see what happens when I get to open space.

I found you through Mojo.

Peggy Payne said...

Hi, Fireblossom. Welcome!

I think your write-the-beginning strategy is excellent. I hope you get at least a few rough lines down today.

Peggy Payne said...

Debbie, I'm counting on this book of yours. So I'm glad you're getting your own stuff in focus.

I've been sticking with a resolution I made at a workshop I led in January: write on my own stuff some at least four days a week. Some days it's pretty brief, though.