Friday, November 04, 2005

Revising

Today I'm starting back into a novel I thought I'd finished writing. The last third of the book is set in New Orleans and I need to update for the effect of Katrina, and I want to clarify a couple of other things while I have it "opened up."

It's not as hard as it might sound; I know (pretty much) the changes I want to make. On the other hand, every change in a story seems to necessitate others. So this is not a small undertaking either.

THE OBSTACLES I DEAL WITH IN STARTING A REVISION:
the fear that I can't do it
the fear that I'll mess up what's already there
the weary feeling that I've already spent enough time in this story
the question: is it possible that "deep down" some part of me doesn't want to
be immediately clear and finish stories quickly, that I really want to be
"hard to get"

THE GREAT THING ABOUT STARTING A REVISION:
once I've begun I'm involved and excited again
I discover new things to explore
I know I'll get where I'm going eventually

And so the thing now is simply to take a deep breath and begin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Peegy,

I love revisions. Especially after a session of mutual critquing at one of my writer groups. Compared to starting a project and laboring to get it all 'down,'
revising is a puff, a pleasure that accelerates as I put a section to bed with pleasure and relief.

Impressed with your blogging prowess, too.

Gene HUll

Anonymous said...

i feel very similarly about important relationships--i remember once a woman thot i couldnt be Right for her cz id done something very unmannerly--& she allowed me to be/do what i wanted, & when that proved way-limited/limiting, she took up w/ me again for the good reasons we'd been attracted to each other for in the first place, not expecting deeper connection cz'a what i'd done--& we fell in love forever-now
-20-some years ago it was, & we're both far better off & together cz she bravely followed her heart as i was following mine.

Peggy Payne said...

I like revision better too, Gene. I feel I'm working on something that's already real. As opposed to pulling stuff out of the air.