Friday, January 13, 2006

Delicious Literary Promotion Gambit

I got a terrific suggestion from one of the writers at the Creative Capital alum reunion Sunday night:

****For promotion (and celebration)of my nearly-done novel Cobalt Blue, to create a drink called a Cobalt Blue.

This potion needs to be an ethereal blue--and sizzling good. If you HAVE IDEAS? for the recipe that you'd like to contribute, do feel free to pass them on.

I already have the perfect vessel for the testing: it's a martini glass with a cobalt blue rim and a cobalt blue stem that I picked up at a thrift shop for the color.

A hard version and a soft version of the drink are needed--since I can handle about three sips of wine and that's all. So, for myself at least, I'm going to create for this pretty-racy novel a Virgin Cobalt Blue.

Years ago I thought it was funny that the screen rights contract for my first novel, Revelation, included the soft drink rights. I couldn't imagine a Revelation soft drink. I was clearly too narrow in my thinking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I will think on the cobalt blue-tini...:)

The folie-tini would absolutely have to have absinthe, although I suppose pernod would suffice.

Speaking of marketing and announcing and such... do you already have plans for announcing Cobalt Blue? I remember dashing into your office on St. Mary's one day w/ some kind of crisis about what stamps to put on agent query letters and you were assembling Sister India bangle bracelets.

Which has had me thinking off and on ever since about how to get the word out WITH STYLE when the book comes out...

Anonymous said...

I remember that--sending bangles and a note about SISTER INDIA to some booksellers here and there around the country.

I had a good time doing that; you never know what helps and what doesn't. At least not on that kind of effort.

My next move on COBALT BLUE is to finish it. And cook up cool promotional schemes while I'm driving.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean for my comment to be Anonymous. That's happened once before. Don't know why.

My other thought, Billie: I think there's a wine label called Folie a Deux.

Anonymous said...

I've seen that wine! And definitely had the thought that for sure that will be what's served at the local book launch party. :))

On a forward motion note: we signed the papers selling our old house today, and the attic is clear (we'd left a fair amount of stuff there and now it's all in our garage!)

Not sure what this has to do with writing, except that it's nice to be Fully Here w/o the double mortgage stress. And naturally, as synchronicity has it, two books I needed for some current revision research arrived on my front porch today, so it is Full Steam Ahead.

Happy weekend to all!