Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Visualize the Published Book



Visualizations of a goal work even better for me when I create the image of what I want and keep it before me.

Here's an example: my mock-up of COBALT BLUE, my novel-in-terrific-progress, as a published hardback. It's about a painter: note the paintbrush, and the color blue.
Those little gold seals on the cover are for national awards, including the Pulitzer. I also put some nice blurbs and a picture of me on the back.

This looks like a second grader did it. But you get the idea. And so does my unconscious. I've done this with my previous books; it hasn't missed yet.

4 comments:

Lynn Green said...

Good idea. I can see how I can make this work with my students. They could do an illustration of a cover page for their essay, either something they drew or cut out of a magazine.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Seems to me this could work for students of any age: create a picture of where you're heading. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I confess that last week late one night when I was supposed to be WORKING on the book, I was instead quite happily FANTASIZING on vistaprint.com... where you can create various and sundry things like business cards, postcards, etc., and I am here to testify that the large postcards look very much like bookcovers if you squint your eyes a little.

My "mock-ups" looked so fine by the end of it, I actually bought them! They haven't arrived yet but I suspect these images will look quite nice on the bulletin board above my desk. :) And I plan to send some to my agent as well, so he can have a nice clear image in his head, just in case he doesn't already.

Peggy, I'll send you one in the mail. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm going to vistaprint too. I think I'd find the image much more convincing.