Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Marketing for Artists

This Saturday I'm planning to have all my business and professional problems solved and my future assured.

You may think I'm exaggerating, but I have extraordinary high hopes and excitement about a seminar I'm participating in. The title is Strategic Planning Workshop for artists, run by a New York-based organization, Creative Capital Foundation. These workshops are given periodically at locations scattered around the country.

THE MOTIVATION: I saw one of my friends come back transformed from one of these classes last spring. Carrie Knowles, a visual artist as well as author of THE LAST CHILDHOOD, attended a weekend class.

When she got back, she bought a historic house, moved her office out of her house and into this new arts center, established an art gallery/studio in the building and a writing office, and rented space to me and others.

Moreover, six months later, she's still steaming ahead with her writing and art a lot faster than she used to.

THE RESULT: I'm going to go to this thing day after tomorrow and see what happens to me.

One of the exercises, I'm told, is doing an "elevator pitch." That's putting together--and practicing--a sentence that will sell your book to the publishing luminary you find yourself squeezed in next to on an elevator.

I will report here what happens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so brave! That one sentence pitch thing in an elevator is my worst nightmare!!

Anonymous said...

I once burst into Maya Angelou's dressing room, passed her shocked staff, and gave her a copy of Sister India. All in the effort to get a blurb for the paperback. No go. But it was an adventure. She was very nice to me, very gracious. My gall on behalf of my writing has almost no bounds.

J.B. Rowell said...

I think my friend Maleika will be at that same conference - if you see her - please say hello from Julia. Good luck, I hope its all you plan it to be, and more!

Anonymous said...

I'll certainly look up Maleika and say hello. Thanks for your good wishes.