Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Shipping the Manuscript

Just shipped my book to my agent. After first going all the way to the copy center without bothering to take it with me.

My first two novels--Sister India and Revelation--are stories about people daring to to be bold on behalf of what's most important to them.

This new one Cobalt Blue is my own act of daring. It ventures into some raw sexual territory--and into sacred sex. The scenes are absolutely integral to the story and the character; and it's a serious novel, has ambitions. Nonetheless, I'm a little worried about what my mama's going to think; and curious about what it will feel like to have this book out in the world. My agent, when she first read the first chapter, said, "This is quite a story, Peggy."

4 comments:

J.B. Rowell said...

Aren't we all worried about what our mama's are going to think? I can't wait to read your book!
Julia

Anonymous said...

I propose we make a pact -- when all our "bold" novels come out, we get together and hold a ceremony of some kind to rise to the challenge of remaining bold as the publicity hits...:))

billie

Anonymous said...

Yeah, J.B. I do think we're probably all worried about what our mama's going to think. And I'm 57 years old. I do know that that worry doesn't affect what I write--and once it did.

I made a deal with myself about this almost ten years ago. I was on a crossing on the QE2, where I was writing a travel story. It felt like a very significant crossing indeed.

And Billie, I'm definitely down with this pact idea. I love having "the support of the group."

Anonymous said...

Tonight, Thursday, April 20 at 7:00 PM Greg Mortenson will be here reading from his book, THREE CUPS OF TEA:ONE MAN'S MISSION TO FIGHT TERRORISM AND BUILD NATIONS...ONE SCHOOL AT A TIME

Saturday, April 22 at 10:00am
Pam Beck, gardening expert, BEST GARDEN PLANTS FOR NORTH CAROLINA

Saturday, April 22, 6:00 PM
Anthony Horowitz, ARK ANGEL: AN ALEX RIDER ADVENTURE

Sunday, April 23,3:00 PM
NC poets and authors,
John Amen, MORE OF ME DISAPPEARS and Nathan Leslie, DRIVERS and REVERSE NEGATIVE

Monday, April 24, 7:00 PM
Pulitizer prize-winning author
Richard Rhodes, JOHN JAMES AUDUBON

Tuesday, April 25, 7:00 PM
Duke music professor
Thomas Brothers, LOUIS ARMSTRONG'S NEW ORLEANS

Wednesday, April 26, 7:00 PM
Ann B Ross, MISS JULIA STANDS HER GROUND