Friday, September 01, 2006

Advanced Decision-Making Skills

I've been obsessing today about whether to schedule a trip to NY and London--for book research--in October when the weather is better and my gut tells me is the best time, or in November when the airfare drops about $200 and I'd have more time to get ready. What would you do?

I knew something like this was going to happen today when I went to get dressed and was completely stymied: all my clothes were wrong. This is never a good omen. But I did manage to get dressed: jeans, boots (we had hurricane Ernesto today) and a striped T-shirt. How could that be so hard?

And then an epiphany in an e-mail from one of my sisters-in-law, who said in passing that she'd NEVER REGRETTED A SINGLE ADVENTURE she'd ever taken. I like that attitude. From that perspective, it doesn't matter if my trip is in October or November. I'm just tickled that I'm going.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go with your gut!

I think October is the perfect month for book research trips - you come home with lots of "fuel" that can then stoke the creative fire all through the winter.

But whenever you go, I'm sure it will be fabulous.

My Bold Move of the Month: learning to give injections to my horses, despite my needle phobia! I did the first one last week under our vet's supervision, and on Friday did my first solo shot. It went perfectly and I am so proud of myself.

Re: clothing - I am having a fairly strong desire to buy myself something extravigant to wear. Not anything "fancy" but something dramatic and beautiful that I can use every day. My fave place to look for such things are the J. Peterman catalogs. I love the items and the descriptions, which are like little stories...:)

daringtowrite said...

Sounds like a wonderful dilemma, this choice of months. I've enjoyed many Octobers in Ontario and Quebec and your research trip has got me thinking of how much I'd enjoy a month in Montreal or perhaps northern Ontario.

Did you, btw, create your uninterruptible reading time? I'm still enjoying mine.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the injection, Billie. I've always wondered how medical students faced making their first cut.

Thanks for reminding me of uninterruptible reading time, Wenda (of Daring to Write). I haven't put it on my calendar, but I've been reading a lot--much of Labor Day weekend. Really elevated material too: a biography of Pamela Harriman, quite juicy.