Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Asking

A friend of mine with a demanding and highly creative job was just assigned by his boss to increase his output by an additional half.


But a fifty percent increase in salary was not part of the deal.


So this highly creative staffer asked for an extra week of vacation a year. The word's out on whether he'll get that.


It sure wouldn't happen if the guy hadn't asked.


This is a reminder, too, that even if an art buyer doesn't have a lot of money, there are lots of valuable and appropriate ways to get paid.



If you like this post, please bookmark it on del.icio.us, share it on StumbleUpon, vote for it on Digg. Thanks so much.

4 comments:

Debra said...

I will be pulling for your friend! I think that it would be difficult to say no to his request, however, I am a pretty reasonable human being. Feeling valued can be such a huge influence on productivity, and so, we must value ourselves in order to honor all that we produce. If we don't ask for what we feel is fair, then we decrease the perception of our own value in the eyes of others.

Here's to "decompressing"!

Anonymous said...

It takes guts to ask for more.

Though some folks do it without hesitation. I'd like to have that trait.

Debra said...

It does take guts, and sometimes it's hard to pull that courage out of ourselves. I think that it is a personality trait, but I also think that it is something that can be learned over time.

I have faith in you, Peggy. I'll bet that this is something that you could learn to do. Not sure where to tell you to begin because it is something that comes fairly easily for me, but I think that you could learn to be more assertive about asking for what you deserve.(Hmm, there's that "assertiveness" thing, again.) I'll bet you have the guts!

Anonymous said...

I think doing it easily probably requires being whole-heartedly convinced it's the right thing: feeling sure that the "more" is deserved and that it won't cost more than it's worth.

Seems to be part of my dharma to wrestle with this. I appreciate your encouragement.