Saturday, March 01, 2008

Self-Exploration

From environmentalist John Muir:

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”

This quote is from a post on Courage to Create blog encouraging us to spend more time outdoors.

Out of context, I find another meaning in it as well. Muir's thought about going out or going in reminds me that I learn more about myself by going out among people than I do in solitary contemplation.

I do find meditation tremendously valuable, for calm, for allowing ideas to emerge, and as a religious practice.

However, to learn more about myself, there's nothing like a conversation with a client, clerk, husband or friend, about what I can or can't do for them, and what I want or don't want from them, to show me who I am.

Sometimes this "going out" takes more gumption than it might seem. I think that's true for a lot of us.



If you like this post, please bookmark it on del.icio.us, share it on StumbleUpon, vote for it on Digg. Thanks so much.

4 comments:

Debra said...

Hi Peggy,

Going out, takes a whole lot for me these days, but I definitely agree with you. When we isolate ourselves, the only ideas that we can experience are our own. Not always beneficial when things aren't going well.

I think I will follow your cue, and spend a little more time outdoors. I have to do something to get outside of my own mind.

Hugs,
Debbie

Peggy Payne said...

Are you ailing, Debbie? If so, I'm sorry indeed.

And the "going out" I was talking about can actually be done inside the the house. You're already doing it.

I also like Muir's idea. Just getting out into the yard can do great things.

Anyway, I hope you are well.

Debra said...

Hi Peggy,

My younger brother died suddenly, two weeks ago. He was 41 years old, and he left behind his two daughters ages 5 and 9. To make matters worse, my mother and my sister-in-law are both stuck in anger which they have unleashed on me. Very complicated and quite surreal. I was close to my brother so this has been quite a shock.

I am curious about the "going out" that you are talking about, inside the house. Any recommendations? I could use all of the advice I can get, right now.

Hugs,
Debbie

Peggy Payne said...

Oh, Debbie, I am so sorry. What a huge loss.

I have two younger brothers, twins, both so dear to me, who both had open heart surgery the same month last year.

I so feared what you're now going through. And I wish you every comfort and source of strength.

The going out I was talking about is being involved with people. And you sure are.

I'm thinking about you, dear.