Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Making Waves



Out in my kayak on Jordan Lake on Sunday, I made several dozen efforts to shoot a picture of a wave.

This is not an ocean wave. It's a lake wave on a fairly calm day; mostly it's wake from a motorboat. But up close from a little rubber boat, such waves can look and feel pretty impressive.

Which is how it is with making waves in daily life. Moments of unaccustomed speaking up can seem huge, disruptive. But the water does calm down again.

Water movement in a pond can make life better there; keeps it from getting stagnant.

(Speaking of appearances, the water in this lake is more blue-brown than cerulean most of the time. I didn't see it as this blue when I was taking this picture. And I didn't enhance the color of the photo with my computer. Just a bit of kayaking magic, I guess.)




Add to del.icio.us - Stumble It! - Subscribe to this feed - Digg it


4 comments:

Debra said...

Yes, Peggy, even the smallest of waves can look enormous when we first come upon them. It's only when we surrender and allow the wave to pass that we can truly determine how large the wave really was, as we buoy our way back to the surface.

Lovely photo! I could almost feel the rolling sensation of the wave just by looking at it.

Hugs,
Debbie

Peggy Payne said...

Thanks, Debbie. And I think you're likely a connoisseur of waves.

The night after I shot this picture, I dreamed a tsunami rose up in front of a beach in the Caribbean where I was walking. I wasn't very alarmed but climbed a high bluff and hung on and got splashed but not swept away. Not sure quite what to make of that, but it felt like a good thing.

Debra said...

I guess that I do have a bit of experience when it comes to waves.(natural and man-made)

What an interesting dream you had. Now for some fun. My, in no way expert shot, at analyzing it: The Caribbean-You need a vacation which includes a far-away place and solitude(a yummy drink with one of those paper umbrellas in it would be a bonus). Someplace exotic where you can clear your mind and search your own soul. Tsunami-Are you feeling like you might be getting to a point where things could become overwhelming if you do not step back for a bit of a break? Seeing the Tsunami rise but not feeling panicky also might mean that you are feeling in control of everything that is going on right now, but that your subconscious is warning you to stay on top of things. Climbing the bluff and just getting splashed-You have the ability to do what you need to do, in order to prevent things from becoming too overwhelming. You are self-reliant and do not need anyone else to come and rescue you. The things that you are dealing with have the ability to wet your toes, but not to drag you out to sea. You are strong and capable and you know it.

That was fun! Not sure if any of it makes any sense, but I enjoyed thinking about it. And I do think that the dream was a very good one. Maybe more complex that what I analyzed, but I think you should feel good about the message behind it.

Enjoy the waves!

Peggy Payne said...

Very flattering interpretation, Debbie. Thank you. And I probably do need a vacation.