Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Getting on Oprah

Check out this piece on how writers have managed to get themselves and their books on Oprah, and how they've embarrassed themselves trying.

I once had a writer attend a workshop I was teaching who'd been a guest on Oprah with her book and sold a pile of them, and still wondered if she was "a real writer." Dear God! Does self-doubt never end?

I've never been on the show myself, not that I haven't tried. I collaborated on a book The Healing Power of Doing Good, with Allan Luks who previously had been on the show to talk about the message of the book. When the publication date came, the producers felt they'd already adequately covered the subject.

Then when Oprah came to Raleigh to speak, I hired a courier to take a copy of my novel Sister India to the stage door and do battle through the crowd for me. I was told that somebody there had taken the book off his hands.

That's been a few years ago now, but you never know when Chicago is going to call.

1 comment:

Peggy Payne said...

Oh, dear. I forgot to put the link to the piece--and now who knows what I did with it...Will go searching. Sorry.