Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day Five: Clean and Organize

Many emotional stages to this process: last night I felt my efforts at helping Bob clean out his junk room weren't being properly appreciated. I had a talk with Gandhi who reminded me that we need to refrain from focusing on the fruits of our labors; "do the work and then step back."

Also had a talk with Bob; there were points on both sides. Today I'm feeling much more appreciated.

I feel I know Bob a bit better, from seeing the things he has saved for twenty, forty, sixty years. It's rather moving to me.

And then I come back to earlier bits of my life in the process too. Had to pause for a while over a 1969 Yackety Yack (UNC yearbook, for the non-North Carolinian.) Even though I'm a Dukie, that was pretty stirring.


If you like this post, please bookmark it on del.icio.us, share it on StumbleUpon, vote for it on Digg. Thanks so much.

3 comments:

Mojo said...

It seems Bapu has been in a chatty kind of mood in the last 24 hours or so. At least three bloggers I know (well... three including me) have quoted him today.

(Ever seen Lage Raho Munna Bhai?)

Hope you're feeling well again -- or better anyway.

Peggy Payne said...

Thanks, Mojo. That Bapu/Gandhi is quite the Mr. Fix-It, has some very good techniques. But for me he's mostly just companionably around. For years when I meditated, I'd go to a cave where he lived (sleeping on a bear rug!) in a high desert valley, and he'd cook us a fish over a tiny little fire. Frequently at other times he'd show up in my imagination saying nothing but holding out to me an orange.

Fish and oranges! He's the personification of my health sense.

Peggy Payne said...

And, no, I haven't seen the movie you mention. I'm not so big on Bollywood, I'm more the U.S. indie type. Do you think I'd like it?