Friday, April 23, 2010

Shear Boldness

Yesterday afternoon my writing group was called off, and instead of rushing back to my laptop, I went home and hit the garden.

Hit is the operative word. I did some serious pruning. For me, this is a bold move.

My general gardening philosophy is: if a thing wants to grow, I let it grow. This concept, put into practice, lends the place a certain straggly aura.

Yesterday, however, I got out the good clippers and restored all the edges, crisped up the paths. It looks great. The shrubs are looking perky and robust. And I'm very empowered.



hr align="center" size="1" width="90%">
Add to del.icio.us - Stumble It! - Subscribe to this feed - Digg it

3 comments:

billie said...

I did the same thing about 6 weeks ago in my front beds. I like the wild look for the most part, but at some point you have to reclaim things. I'm a complete sucker for volunteer plants and have to force myself to take them out when they're thwarting other things meant to be there.

The craziest thing is that right now I have a trumpet vine, a muscadine grape vine, and Japanese roses growing in the enclosed area UNDER my front porch! It's bare earth and gets almost no sun!

Debra said...

Good for you, Peggy! Things will grow in healthier and more lush looking after being cut back. I always have such a hard time doing that to my rose bushes, but then they always grow back more beautiful.

Time very well spent!

Unknown said...

A meter reader did quite a job on my roses last week, Debbie. Didn't need any pruning there. Maybe I should thank him.

Billie, there's magic going on under your porch. Garden fairies at work.